Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Isabella's Birth Story
We began our adventure with a scheduled induction on Sunday Dec 28th at noon. The nurses began with one application of a cervical gel that "effaces" you; that was given at 2pm and then they broke my water and started pitocin at 4:45pm. After almost 5 hrs of natural labor with no pain medication and the most horrible pain I will likely ever experience in my life, I decided to fold and request an epidural. After all those hrs, I had only dilated to 5cm. Unfortunately the epidural process was an unforgettable one. The first injection did not go in properly and it hit a blood vessel, causing my heart rate and blood pressure to spike. There's nothing like enduring contractions while having an epidural administered, especially when it has to be done twice. It was a good hour from start to finish before it was finally in the right spot. After the epidural, things progressed quickly. I finally got to 9.5cm and 100% effaced around 1:45am and the nurse allowed me to give a few good pushes to get the ball rolling. Unfortunately, she realized at that point that Isabella's head was tight and after the doctor concurred, they gave me the devastating news that a vaginal birth was not in the cards for me given my narrow pelvic area. Who would've guessed that a thick girl such as myself has a small pelvis!! Anyway, we rushed to the operating room and she was out before we knew it. I was in the hospital for 3.5 days and we finally got to come home on New Years Day, our family of three.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment